Sunday, January 5, 2014

Let's Kick Off 2014 with a Holiday Detox

It's another new year, another holiday season come and gone. I don't know about y'all but my December was full of carbs, sugar and fat. Between the stress and craziness of finals then the overload of holiday cookies, food and alcohol I'm definitely suffering from a holiday hangover. 

The ending of one year and the beginning of another is a great time for reflection. But usually those new years resolutions to eat better, exercise more and drink less have gone out the window by the time valentines day rolls around. That's why this year I'm going to modify my resolution in the form of a holiday detox.


 As opposed to all the guilt and stress that comes from failing our various resolutions I've decided to tackle a sort of detox plan for January. Now, this is not going to be a series of strict rules but merely guidelines to get back to feeling better and being a little bit healthier. Now I should preface this by saying I'm not a health expert (law students are generally fairly unhealthy individuals), but this is merely my plan. 

1. Drink 64 ounces of water a day. I don't know about y'all, but I can easily go a day without drinking any water. Terrible. I know how important water is, and 64 oz is nothing really. Three bottles? I could probably do that before lunch if I really thought about it. So that's what I'm doing. Thinking about it, and trying to get to the 64 oz goal line. 

2. Cut the sugar. This one is pretty self explanatory. I ate too much sugar last month, so I'm cutting back this one. 

3. Pack my lunch. Though I still have a week until school starts back, I'm going to try to eat a homemade lunch for the remainder of the month. Not only is it cheaper, but I know that what I pack is generally going to be better for me than the food on/near campus. 

4. No Alcohol. I know, shocking. I love me a cocktail or two, but I have yet to have a drink in 2014 (save a few post midnight beverages on NYE). I don't have a real justification as to why I'm choosing to include a no-drinking rule, other than to say, can you really have a detox while still drinking?

5. Positivity. This is the closest one to a resolution, but I believe it's a necessary addition to the list. I'm kind of a crazy type-a overachiever person. Accordingly, I'm pretty critical of myself.  The stress of finals last month proved to be one of the hardest mental, emotional and physical challenges I've ever endured. The lingering stress of "how'd I actually do?" as I await my final grades, has proven nearly as difficult. So. I decided as I detox, I need to inject some more positivity into my life.    

So that's my plan. If I'm not perfect, oh well. But here's to hoping I'll feel better physically and mentally on February 1. 

4 comments:

eHa said...

Good luck! Your plan sounds like a really smart one! Drinking more water and cutting out extra sugar is a good. Your detox looks a lot like my new year's resolutions!

Lauren @ Dash of Soul said...

You go girl! I'm trying to do the same, and my number one goal is to STAY AWAY from energy drinks while I'm studying for the bar exam. I reaaalllyyy need to work on the water thing too! Maybe we can help keep each other accountable! :)

My-cliffnotes said...

I want to do this! No booze will be hard though

Tori said...

I'm joining you! This lady needs a healthier lifestyle!

©2013 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs