We are having a smallish Cinco de Mayo party so we'll have the traditional margarita mix, but I'm going to pick up a bottle or two of my girl Bethenny's Skinny Girl Margarita. 100 calories a serving? Sign me up.
Now I'm a southern gal, but we were never really in to the derby growing up. During college I went to a super fun Derby party, and ever since I love dressing up in a big floppy hat and sipping on some minty goodness.
|BW at last year's derby party|
|Ingredients: 10 mint leaves, 1 Tbsp Simple Syrup, 3 oz bourbon, 1 cup crushed ice|
- Muddle 10 mint leaves with 1 Tbsp simple syrup and a tiny splash of the bourbon.
- Let that mixture set for 3-5 minutes so the mint can release its flavor (take this opportunity to crush the ice)
- Strain the mint mixture and pour into your julep glass and swirl it around the glass.
- Add the crushed ice to the top of the glass
- Add the remainder of the the bourbon
- Garnish with mint
Put on your finest hat (be it a big floppy one or a sombrero) and relax. I know that's what I'll be doing!