Friday, May 4, 2012

{Friday Cocktail} 5.5.12 Double Cocktail Craziness

So tomorrow is a big day. Cinco de Mayo woohoo!!! oh yah. AND the Kentucky derby. I don't know about you, but when I think about both of these holidays two things come to mind. Margaritas and Mint Juleps. How could you pick just one? Since I'm still working working on eating well, I haven't been drinking. Okay, that's kind of a lie, I've been trying not to drink, and have for the most part been pretty successful. Still thinking about my may goals and having to be in a bathing suit in 10 days (eek) I'm going to really try to be good this weekend. It's going to be tough though. Good thing I'm the one throwing the party.

We are having a smallish Cinco de Mayo party so we'll have the traditional margarita mix, but I'm going to pick up a bottle or two of my girl Bethenny's Skinny Girl Margarita. 100 calories a serving? Sign me up.


Now I'm a southern gal, but we were never really in to the derby growing up. During college I went to a super fun Derby party, and ever since I love dressing up in a big floppy hat and sipping on some minty goodness. 

BW at last year's derby party
I'm going to attempt to make a skinny mint julep, but lets be honest, I still don't quite have the taste for bourbon, I need me some sugar.

Ingredients: 10 mint leaves, 1 Tbsp Simple Syrup, 3 oz bourbon, 1 cup crushed ice
  1. Muddle 10 mint leaves with 1 Tbsp simple syrup and a tiny splash of the bourbon.
  2. Let that mixture set for 3-5 minutes so the mint can release its flavor (take this opportunity to crush the ice)
  3. Strain the mint mixture and pour into your julep glass and swirl it around the glass. 
  4. Add the crushed ice to the top of the glass
  5. Add the remainder of the the bourbon
  6. Garnish with mint

Put on your finest hat (be it a big floppy one or a sombrero) and relax. I know that's what I'll be doing!

9 comments:

Amy Shaughnessy said...

I just commented on someone else's blog that I haven't tried skinnygirl margaritas yet! I really need to get on that...

I finally get a much needed date with the hubby this weekend. So excited! Have a great weekend!

Amy

fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

My-cliffnotes said...

Umm 100 cal drinks, yes please.

Happy weekend.
Tab
my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

Caitlin C. said...

I lovee those skinny girl margaritas! Yum yum. Have fun!!

so anthro said...

Ooh these both sound so good-- trying to figure out how to celebrate both events tomorrow! :)

Abbys-World-Closet said...

I'm having a get together with my friend, and im very excited to try this, great post!! check out my blog, if you like we can follow each other!!

Cara said...

Sounds like a fun Saturday! I got a late night margarita after my friend's show but totally missed the derby. Would love to hear how the skinny mint juleps turned out! Excited to meet you at the Blogger Blitz!

Krista @ Blonde Aesthetic said...

I still need to try those skinny girl margaritas. I drink more bourbon and whiskey, but sometimes a girl just needs a good margarita. Today is shaping up to be one of those days already. I had family in town so we didn't get a chance to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, but I hope you had a fun one!

Miss Southern Prep said...

How fun! I hope you had a wonderful time celebrating the Derby and Cinco! I tried Skinnygirl Margaritas the first time this weekend, and I was not a fan, at all. I don't know though, maybe it's just me haha!

Hope you have a wonderful week!

Blue Dog Belle said...

I KNOW! I was so disappointed! I'm definitely sticking to the crystal light.

©2013 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs