Tuesday, May 15, 2012

{Beauty Tuesday} Coastal Scents

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

This beauty Tuesday I want to talk to you about one of my go to makeup palettes. The Coastal Scents 88 Original. 

via
I know right? It's a tad bit crazy. I was turned onto coastal scents by the one and only Emily Eddington of Beauty Broadcast. I've been lusting over their crazy colored palettes for months, and with a recent 30% off sale, I finally pulled the trigger. 

I went back and forth on which palette to get a whole bunch. I was down to the Original and the Neutral, but decided to go out of my comfort zone a bit and try the colorful original. When I first received it in the mail, I'm not going to lie, I was horrified. The colors are SO pigmented and bright. Some are matte, some are shimmery. There aren't too many neutrals, and SO many blues? who wears blue eye shadow besides a prostitute from 1985?  

Well apparently this girl does, because I have to say I love this palette to death now. I just had to learn how to use it. 
  1. Use the color sparingly: I like using the blue/greens/purples as a light accent in the crease
  2. Use lots of neutrals to balance: you can deepen the crease with some of the great blacks, or use the lighter colors for an all over shadow.
  3. Use the darker colors for a smudged liner- do a light smokey eye and instead of liner thinly apply to upper lash line (I love the greens and dark blues with my blue eyes).
  4. Have fun with it: go crazy with the color, but as long as you're rocking it, I promise you'll pull it off. 
I will say, I'm still not really sure how to use the reds (and the yellows for that matter). They just do not work with my skin coloring.

I want to be honest with y'all, so I will give you one more critique. The colors are are very pigmented, so if you are buying blushes, bronzers, or even the eye makeup and you are super fair (like me), make sure you use a light hand. These products are really better for someone with a slightly darker complexion (if you're already tan you'll love this). This may be a positive for you, or a negative. But I feel that you should know, I have to use the face products sparingly (I still use and love them though!)

If you are looking for something fun to add to your collection, with out breaking the bank I would highly recommend Coastal Scents. They even sent me a few samples with my first purchase, and it got here SO fast! They are even having a sale right now! 

P.S. Happy Birthday to My Mom! We are currently relaxing by the pool in Puerto Rico. I know, rough way to turn 60. 

No comments:

©2013 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs