Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Charlotte Recap

Okay ladies. I'm sure you're all tired of hearing about the DNC and my epic adventure to Charlotte. But I feel like I owe you a recap of the full adventure. 

I left DC Saturday morning for a quick visit in Williamsburg with my bffirl Lauren and her lovely husband Jason. I know I talk about her often, but if you haven't checked out her blog, you really need to. She has a fabulous cooking blog that inspires me every day... if only I had the pantry she does... maybe I could create half the master pieces she whips up on a daily basis. 

She treated Jason and I to one of her specialties, Pollo en Fricase, and let me tell you, it was amazing. Lauren knows how much I love cilantro, so this was absolutely perfect. 


She also made arros y frijoles, and some yummy mint cocktails. That girl knows me so well. 


I mean really. Look at this awesomeness.  After a while we hit the town for some fro-yo.

Sunday morning we did a few photo-shoots and had a perfect breakfast. Girlfriend knows how to make a waffle. 


That afternoon I hit the road and headed south for Charlotte, through the worst rainstorm ever. I couldn't see anything and was forced to drive about 20 mph. Made the roadtrip so fun. let.me.tell.you. But I made it. Checked in. Hit the grocery store for some essentials (i.e. alcohol and chocolate)

I don't know that I told you officially, but I was offered a position volunteering with the DNCC (convention staff) on the Government Affairs team. It was a great opportunity to meet other like minded  young people in Washington, and I just had a fabulous time. 

I spotted quite a few famous folks (famous if you watch CNN non-stop like me) Congresswoman DWS above. CNN contributor Donna Brazile below.


Since there were no "official" convention events on Monday I wandered around carolina fest before starting an evening of party hopping. 

 



I ran around town through crazy rainstorms. I ended the night up in NODA which is the arts district of Charlotte. I was beyond thrilled to be reunited with Terrapin. 


Tuesday I was up bright and early (with quite the headache) for breakfast with my boss. Then headed off to a few meetings, before reporting for work. 





I made an appearance on MSNBC and a few on CNN... never did find the FOX news stand. SHOCKING. 


I got to go to a discussion with National Journal featuring an amazing line up: Kal Penn, America Fererra, Chelsea Clinton,  Andrew Jenks,  Chuck Todd, Kaseem Reed and more. It was great. AND I got to meet Chelsea. She is gorgeous and amazing. Love her!


After work that night I hit up the B52's concert. I had a great time, but 2 am rolled around and I needed to rest my feet. 


Thursday was a blur. Breakfasts. Meetings. a quick lunch a Moes, then reported for double duty and the big speeches. 





I met so many great folks and had such a wonderful time in Charlotte. If you are at all interested in politics you need to attend a convention in your life. It was so inspiring to meet all these people, young and old, coming together to make america a better place. I definitely had one of those moments where I just had to stop and appreciate everything going on around me. 

I am definitely a driven person. I impose some pretty harsh standards on myself, and while it has definitely been a good character trait in my life, it doesn't always allow the opportunity to stop and smell the roses and appreciate where I am. 

I was sitting down in a tiny corner of this lounge. feet throbbing. dehydrated. exhausted. with hours ahead of me. then former President Clinton came on. I just had a moment. I started sobbing. Partially at his amazing speech and how much I realized that I really do care and believe that we are heading in the right direction in this country (that's a post for another day though). But more for the fact that I suddenly realized where I was, and how lucky I was to be there. and honestly, how proud I was of myself for putting in the hours, and doing the work, and making the connections and generally being a sufficiently successful person to get there on my own merits. I didn't buy my way in. Or call in favors from numerous connections to get there. I did it. Me. And I was just overcome with emotion by the whole thing. What a great experience. 

Okay I know y'all have had enough of this trip. I promise, beauty and fashion will be back tomorrow. Happy Tuesday!

9 comments:

emily fitzgerald {once in a blue room} said...

Looks amazing -- so jealous!

Tracy @ Honey and Nutmeg said...

What an incredible experience. You should be quite proud of yourself and this is something you will talk about for years to come!

Anonymous said...

What a great experience!!
I attended a liberal convention as a delegate about 5 or 6 years ago (the Canadian democracy is set up much differently from the US) but it was certainly an amazing experience at the time that was empowering!
I'm cheering for Obama from up North! Hope you can get the change you want :)

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings said...

Wow! What a trip for you!!

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

Unknown said...

Wow, this is such a great recap of your experience at the DNC! My sisters and I watched it on TV but it's nothing compared to what you experienced. We were also moved by Clinton's speech. He gave facts and examples instead of fluff. We agree, America is definitely moving in the right direction!!

Because Shanna Said So said...

What an experience of a lifetime!!! So cool to show your kids one day. So happy for you and all that you got to see, do and eat....because girl, let's face it, you ate good! ;)Welcome back!
Shanna

My-cliffnotes said...

What an adventure! Such a fab weekend! You are wonderful

Cara said...

What a whirlwind trip! It sounds so fun, exhausting, incredible and full of good people and food. I'm so glad that you were able to remember what you love about it when things got tough and tired!

Whitney said...

I am SO jealous! I'm living in Houston right now, but I just moved from Charlotte in January. I'm so sad that I couldn't be there! Clinton's speech was amazing, I wanted to cry too!

©2013 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs