Sunday, December 2, 2012

Day 2

Okay, it's day two of the


the meaning behind your blog name

I'm so excited to finally talk about this, because I think there are a lot of people out there who don't "get" my blog's name. If you're not a political nerd you may not know what a blue dog is. According to their website...

"The Blue Dog Coalition was created in 1995 to represent the commonsense middle of the Democratic Party. Blue Dogs advocate for mainstream American values, a commitment to fiscal responsibility, and a strong national defense. 
The name “Blue Dog” originates from the long-time tradition of referring to a strong Democratic Party supporter as being a “Yellow Dog Democrat,” who would, “vote for a yellow dog if it was listed on the ballot as a Democrat.” Leading up to the 1994 election the founding members of the Blue Dogs felt that they had been “choked blue” by the extremes of both political parties." 

So essentially a "Blue Dog" is a moderate Democrat. Fiscally conservative, socially liberal is what I like to think.

The Belle portion comes from my desire to be a southern belle. Haha. Well, really I just wanted a name that would represent multiple aspects of my personality. You guys know this, but I'm a political junkie with an addiction to glitter and sparkles.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I love the name and what it stands for. :)

Whitney said...

I love the background of your blog name! To be honest I wasn't 100% sure what a blue dog was, but I'm glad that I know now. Also glad that a moderate Democrat voted for Obama! :) (FOUR MORE YEARS!)

Caitlin C. said...

This is so cool!! I never knew what your blog title stood for. I love how you took something you are so passionate about and worked it into your blog name - and of course I love the belle part as well :)

Emily said...

This is a great description of what you, and your blog stands for. I'm, like you, with the fiscal conservative choice, and law school has definitely made me more moderate than I ever thought I could be in regards to social issues. I'm absolutely LOVING your challenge, it feel so good to blog consistently. (okay 3 days in a row). Happy Monday. oxo

©2013 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs